Origins Patterns are a collection of multi-colored plastic panels. They are primarily made from post-consumer recycled polyethylene. Most of us know this plastic resin as HDPE which stands for High-Density Polyethylene. You may have seen the code HDPE #2 molded into the bottom of a plastic milk, detergent or shampoo bottle. This code is used to help keep the resin from becoming contaminated with other plastic resin types. Origins may also contain LDPE (Low-Density Polyethylene) #4, PP (Polypropylene) #5 and sometimes virgin polyethylene, all of which are compatible with HDPE.
Trash to Art What you see in our original color pattern, 501 Confetti, are all of the colors used to attract consumers to purchase a specific brand of a product contained in a plastic bottle. The colors in this pattern simply “Acknowledge Their Origins” as a British designer once described it. The name stuck and the panel material became known as Origins. Unlike typical plastic materials, Origins offers fantastic visual stimulation. The material elevates recycling to an art form. Unlike plastic laminate products whose printed patterns are repeated, the randomness of this material’s color at the surface is real and unique. The colors in Origins panels penetrate all the way through the material so cut and shaped edges will resemble the surface color. Origins is a completely safe, non-toxic material that causes no harm to the environment during its manufacture or use. It extends the life of an extracted natural resource and it helps to minimize waste.
The Process – We have a two-step process, where step one is preparing the resin by color and shape and step two is forming the prepared resin into a flat panel. For the second step, we use a process called compression molding. This is pressing together the molten flakes or pellets of the prepared colored resin from step one. The compression molding process is capable of producing as few as two panels or as many as ten panels at a time. Though much slower than the extrusion process for making a plastic sheet, compression molding is the only process that allows multiple colors within one sheet. This makes compression molding ideal for smaller projects and for producing material with fantastic visual stimulation.
Repeatable Patterns – Each Origins Pattern is based upon a color formula that contains percentages of specific colors. This way, we can mix a batch for any number of panels, ensuring that a specific color made today will closely resemble a panel made a decade ago. We write ‘closely resemble’ because no two panels are ever identical. When the pressure is applied, each piece of resin moves randomly, distributing the colors in unique and fascinating ways as they permanently bond together. Origins can also be made into a single color panel using a single color resin. We call this product Origins Solids
Origins Patterns Color Chart
Origins Patterns are color batch sensitive.
Origins Translucent Patterns Color Chart
Note – These colors contain 98% virgin (not recycled) and 2% post-consumer recycled polyethylene.
Origins Translucent Patterns are color batch sensitive.
Origins panels are available by quotation only. Pricing is based on the number of panels that are made in one batch. A batch is a single color or a single mixture of colors. The larger the batch size, the lower the price will be per sheet. Our panel production time is approximately 8 weeks; sometimes we do better.
In thinner panels, formulas using flakes can show voids in a few places. Unfortunately, we do not have a way to prevent this in our current process. Such defects can be cut around or filled. This is typically found in 1/8″ (3 mm) thick panels but it has been known to occasionally happen in 1/4″ (4 mm) panels.
|PRICING EXAMPLES:||Recent Orders or Quotations as of:||Winter 2021|
|Prices shown are per panel in US Dollars|
|Quantity/Type||(3.175 mm)||(6.35 mm)||(9.5 mm)||(12.7 mm)||(19 mm)||(25.4 mm)|
|4 - 2' x 4' Multi-Color||$224.32|
|4 - 2' x 4' Multi-Color||$681.94
|10 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color||$480.93|
|100 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color||$408.67|
|9 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color||$1,222.10
|20 - 4' x 8' Solid Color||$513.16|
|20 - 4' x 8' Solid Color||$515.03|
|15 - 4' x 8' Solid Color||$609.04|
|20 - 4' x 8' Solid Color||$742.06|
|30 - 4' x 8' Solid Color||$608.21|
|5 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color||$1,452.76|
|10 - 5' x 10' Solid Color||$1,215.84|
|18 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color||$658.84|
|18 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color||$650.71|
|10 - 4' x 8' 501 Confetti||$682.56|
|8 - 4' x 8' Multi-Color|
2 - 4' x 8' 302 MJ Natural
|11 - 0.97" x 56" x 146" Multi-Color||$2,465.09|
|16 - 0.97" x 56" x 146" Custom Solid Color||$1,926.61|
|7 - 0.97" x 48" x 96" Custom Solid Color||$1,099.77|
- Panel sizes and (minimums) are 24″ x 48″ (2), 4′ x 8′ (10) , 5′ x 10′ (5) and 56″ x 146″ (5)
- Metric – panel sizes and (minimums) are 609 x 1219 mm (2), 1219 x 2438 mm (10) , 1524 x 3048 mm (5) and 1422 x 3708 mm (5)
- 1″, 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″ thick 4′ x 8′ panels have a minimum of (5).
- Metric – 25, 32, 39 mm thick 1219 x 2438 mm panels have a minimum of (5).
- Panel gauges are 1/8″ (except 5′ x 10′ or 56″ x 146″), 1/4″ (except 56″ x 146″), 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″, 1″, 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″ (except 56″ x 146″), 2″ (except 5′ x 10′ or 56″ x 146″)
- Metric – Panel gauges are 3 mm (except 1524 x 3048 mm or 1422 x 3708 mm), 6 mm (except 1422 x 3708 mm), 9.5 mm, 12.7 mm, 19 mm, 25 , 32, 39 mm (except 1422 x 3708 mm), 51 mm (except 1524 x 3048 mm or 1422 x 3708 mm)
- Multiple patterns may be combined to meet minimums.
- Patterns and Solids may be combined to meet minimums.
- Matte Textured/Pebble/Orange Peel finish is standard, smooth is optional.
- Masking is applied to both sides of panels 1/2″ (12.7 mm) and thicker.
- Add $0.60/sf. for masking on less than 1/2″ (12.7 mm) panels
- Origins ships with the mold edge – all edges require trimming and will yield the full stated panel size.
- Colors are batch-sensitive.
- Origins is not UV stabilized for orders under 3,000 Lbs. per color.
- Origins is not fire-rated, it is more like a Class C.
- YH does not offer Health or Environmental Product Declarations for Origins.
- YH is not a member of any 3rd party certification organization.
- The lead time for panel production is about 8 weeks.
Origins Panels Shipping Information –
Origins panels are stacked flat on a wood pallet. Each panel is protected by sheets of recyclable chipboard. Origins will ship via LTL (Less Than Truckload). Extended forks are required to move the load, otherwise, the flexibility of the panels will cause the pallet to break and potentially drive pallet nail heads through the packing material into the bottom panel. Origins weight calculation formula: L” x W” x T” x 0.036 = lbs. Add 400 lbs. tare per 4′ x 8′ pallet, 500 lbs. for 5′ x 10′ and 600 lbs. for 5′ x 12′ pallets. Origins is shipped LTL, NMFC – 44620, class 65. Packing Charges: $75.00 per pallet.
Origins Material Data
YH Terms of Sale
Prices and availability may change without notice.
We will provide a quotation for any inquiries and all orders are acknowledged to the customer.
All orders are subject to our Standard Terms and Conditions.
You may pay with a check drawn on a US bank.
Finally, the specifier and/or customer is responsible for determining the suitability of these products for their applications. Contact us for physical samples.